Recruitment at Team Newcastle University
Newcastle University - The Facts
- Newcastle is placed in the global top 150 universities in both the Times Higher Education (THE) and QS rankings published in 2011.
- We were one of just five universities shortlisted for ‘University of the Year 2010’ by the Times Higher Education (THE) Magazine.
- Newcastle was voted third best city in Europe (second in the UK behind London) for Nightlife in trip advisor’s Travellers Choice Awards 2010.
- We have a well-deserved reputation for sporting excellence, having finished in the top 15 out of 146 universities in the British Universities and Colleges Sports (BUCS) table for the past five years.
- Newcastle University Business School is one of an elite group of only 128 schools worldwide who have attained the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) badge conferred by the European Foundation for Management Development.
Why Choose Newcastle?
- Newcastle University is a Russell Group University and we ranked joint 22nd out of 123 in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015.
- Top 20 for graduate career prospects (The Times and Sunday Times University Guide, 2015; The Guardian University Guide 2015; The Complete University Guide 2015)
- Newcastle’s social life is top-rated by students (joint first in 2013 and joint second in 2014, The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2014)
- Newcastle University features in the top 200 of most world rankings, and the top 20 of most UK rankings.
- No. 11 in the UK for student sport by the British University and Colleges Sports organisation (2015)
- No. 1 in the Russell Group of research intensive universities in the People & Planet Green League (2015) No. 12 in the UK. Up from 104th in 2010
- No. 3 in the UK for High Quality Lecturers in the Times Higher Student Experience Survey 2015. No. 10 overall.
What our Basketball Programme can offer you
- Compete in the BUCS Division 1A Northern League
- Compete in the National Basketball League
- High level training around your academics
- An individual year round strength and conditioning programme weekly team sessions
- A pre-season programme that gets you ready to compete, this includes preparation games versus NBL Division 1 and BBL teams
- Video analysis sessions
- Guest coaching sessions from past and current BBL coaches
- Exposure to the highest level of basketball in the country
One of our Knights
- Position: Guard
- DOB: 17/11/1984
- Studying: Postgraduate Certificate in Research
- Nationality: British
- Height: 6’3 ft
- Current Clubs: Newcastle University & Durham Wildcats.
- Honours: National Cup Winner; EBL Division 2 Champion; EBL Division 3 Champion; BUCS Premiership Winner
Mark is a senior and graduating from Newcastle University this year, he also plays for the Professional BBL team the Durham Wildcats.
"Coming to Newcastle University was a great opportunity and challenge for me, both as a student and an athlete. The university has a great reputation for its high academic standards and the basketball programme is most certainly on the up! Coach Hewitt gave me an important role and helped me to embrace it and succeed. This opportunity has helped me further my career for after basketball and improve my all round game as a player."
One of our Knights
- Position: Guard
- DOB: 29/08/1993
- Studying: Accounting & Maths Joint Honours BSc
- Nationality: British
- Height: 6’4 ft
- Current Clubs: Newcastle University
- Honours: U20 Midnight Madness Winner; British Colleges National Champion; U18 Eastern Conference Champion
Chuck has recently graduated and will be returning to do his Masters during the 2015/2016 Season.
"I have enjoyed my time thus far at Newcastle, both on and off the court. When I returned from my year in the US, I wanted to attend a university with a good academic reputation, that also had a solid basketball program and a coach, who could develop me further as a player. I have been fortunate find here at Newcastle, under Coach Hewitt, who has been both a mentor and a coach to me. I have also been fortunate to a very cohesive team, who are almost like my family up here both on and off the court. I also enjoy living in the centre of a smaller and vibrant city."
Newcastle University Scholarships
Who are they aimed at?
The Scholarships currently offered by Newcastle University Basketball Club are currently aimed at Undergraduate students looking to enrol on an Undergraduate degree. However, there are other scholarships available for Postgraduates and PhD students.
What do we offer?
- Up to £1,500 Recruitment Scholarship in the 1st year of your degree
- Up to £1,000 Performance Scholarship in the 2nd and 3rd year of your degree
- The chance to gain official coaching qualifications
- Membership to the Elite Squad
- Full access to Gym and Facilities
- Personal Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Access to Team GB Physiotherapists
- Professional tutors to give you information on Sports Nutrition, Physiology, Psychology, Vision Screening, Injury Prevention, Strength and Conditioning plus a full medical and physiotherapy screening
What we would expect from you?
The Scholarship is designed for young basketball players with the desire and passion to improve as a basketball player and gain a high quality education. You will be expected to be playing at a high level prior to attending the University as well as meeting Newcastle University’s high academic requirements.
What is not covered by the Partial Scholarship and what are your costs?
The Scholarships we offer do not cover the following costs:
- Tuition fees – £9,000 per year
- Accommodation – This can vary but University accommodation can cost around £3,000
- Living costs (including accommodation) – Around £800 per month for 12 months
Our Scholarship looks to help in reducing living costs but cannot be used for Tuition Fees.
Here are some Academic Scholarships that we encourage you to apply for, however they are external to the basketball club and we have no influence on whether or not they will be granted.
- Newcastle University Promise Scholarship
- Newcastle University Access Scholarship
- Newcastle University National Scholarships
- Newcastle is placed in the global top 150 universities
Want more Information?
Useful Contacts and Websites
A list of club and Sports Centre contacts can be found on the Contact page.